- Middle School
Dexter Southfield, Chestnut Hill, MA
Accredited by NEASC
About Dexter Southfield
Dexter Southfield is an independent school where boys and girls in Pre-K through Class 12 develop their individual talents and build an ethical foundation for life. Through a classical education and innovative programming, students learn to lead with confidence and serve with compassion. Our 36-acre campus is located on the Brookline-Boston line, just minutes from the city’s best museums, libraries, hospitals, performing arts venues, colleges, and universities—all of which serve as an extension of our classrooms. At Dexter Southfield, we approach everything we do with enthusiasm and commitment, living by our School’s motto: “Our Best Today, Better Tomorrow.”
About Our Team
Our History Department team is made up of highly talented and professional members who demonstrate exceptional commitment to instructing and engaging students in history and current events. We encourage students to apply their knowledge and skills to achieve their post-secondary education goals and remain lifelong learners. If you enjoy working with middle school students and want to develop their love of history, this role offers you a great opportunity to join one of the region’s most respected private schools.
You are an experienced middle school teacher seeking to share your love of history to help nurture students’ passions and curiosities of the world. You demonstrate excellent organizational and relationship building skills and are committed to helping guide students in the classroom and in their extracurricular pursuits. You demonstrate integrity, humor, and sound judgment in everything you do and enjoy the rhythm and energy of a vibrant and growing independent day school.
To be successful in this role, you must be able to:
- Instruct school students in the subject of History to help students think deeply about the world through various lenses of history, research, and current events
- Create and present lesson plans that effectively align with core skills and School standards
- Engage students in classroom discussions and activities that promotes mindful independent and collaborative problem-solving skills
- Develop assignments and homework through which subject area growth and proficiency is measured and prompt feedback is provided to students
- Issue progress reports and timely updates consistent with School policies and standards, including quarterly report cards and parent-teacher conferences
- Manage classroom and maintain an environment that ensures students demonstrate appropriate behavior, manners, study habits, and academic progress
- Prepare students for standardized testing, including post-secondary entry exams
- Provide timely and effective feedback to students, parents, faculty, and administration regarding student progress, needs, and concerns (academic, social, emotional)
- Research curriculum and instruction opportunities and develop activities to enhance student educational experiences
- Fully engage in School-sponsored professional development programs and department meetings
- Remain knowledgeable of instructional and curriculum trends, goals, and objectives
- Coach and/or advise at least two extracurricular sports, clubs, or activities
- erform other related duties, as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in History; advanced degree in subject matter preferred
- Ability to plan, organize, develop, and conduct comprehensive lesson plans and instruction
- Demonstrated knowledge in teaching principles, theories, methods, behavior management techniques, and conflict resolution strategies
- Understanding of academic, social, and behavioral characteristics of middle school students
- Ability to provide a motivating and engaging learning environment
- History of continued education or professional development in general education or assigned subject area(s) through in-service training programs or independent studies
- Ability to communicate effectively (orally and in writing) and possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and parents
- Ability to be flexible, effectively manage stress, and adapt to changing work priorities and assignments
At Dexter Southfield, we promote a culture of excellence that extends beyond academics, athletics, and the arts. We offer a community in which employees and students feel valued, respected, and a sense of belonging.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter, resume, and completed employment application to Carmen Aliber, Director of Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org.