- Middle School
Belmont Day School, Belmont, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Belmont Day School seeks a dynamic, skilled, and creative Spanish teacher to teach middle school Spanish in grades six, seven, and eight, and collaborate with a collegial and skilled team of faculty.
As a faculty member and advisor, this person will serve as an integral member of the middle school grade-level teams and World Language department. Deep knowledge of and appreciation for teaching Spanish, including Ser and Estar, present tense of the indicative, stem-changing verbs, preterite, imperfect, present progressive, reflexive verbs, possessive pronouns, direct and indirect object pronouns, gender and inclusive pronouns, comparatives, demonstratives; an ability to explore vocabulary around culture, traditions, celebrations, food, clothing, school, sports, family, chores, health, transportation, and places; and a robust understanding of identity and cultural diversity are required. A qualified candidate will also possess a strong enthusiasm, deep knowledge of, and familiarity with middle school students and a commitment to fostering and modeling our core values and the ability to integrate diversity, equity, and inclusion into their pedagogy and treatment of students, parents, and colleagues.
This is a full-time, exempt, and benefit-eligible position, beginning in August 2020. It is a ten-month position and reports to the middle school head. This position is not eligible for employer-sponsored relocation.
- Teach three sections of middle school Spanish, grades 6-8
- Serve as a middle school advisor
- Create and deliver rigorous, effective, and compelling curricular experiences
- Work to ensure academic excellence (the ability of students to approach novel tasks with the confidence, mindset, and skills to accomplish them successfully)
- Collaborate with the grade-level teams and World Language department to supportco-curricular programming and the development of adolescents beyond the classroom
- Lead a middle school club
- Keep careful anecdotal and assessment records to inform and write comprehensive student reports
- Lead and assist in parent-teacher conferences focused on the social, emotional, and academic growth
- Provide regular, constructive, and specific feedback to students to encourage their growth and improvement as Spanish language learners
- Establish and maintain strong home-school partnerships with families to ensure students’ success
- Commit to fostering a diverse and inclusive community in and out of the classroom
- Engage with students routinely by providing coverage at lunch, recess, dismissal, or other duties as needed
- Perform additional responsibilities as required
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- Experience teaching this developmental age group
- Experience teaching Spanish
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Deep appreciation for and commitment to building a cohesive and innovative community of learners
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to develop thematic curriculum
- Commitment to professional development and best practices in teaching
- Cultural competency based on experience and professional development
- Commitment to effective use of technology in the classroom
- A sense of humor, flexibility, energy, patience, and creativity
Please submit a cover letter specific to this position along with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Materials must be received by Friday, July 3, 2020.
Belmont Day seeks candidates who will add to the diversity of our community. The school will always be maintained as a non-sectarian institution. The school is an equal opportunity employer. The school complies with all legal requirements in connection with admissions and access to programs, facilities and employment practices regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, or disability.