- Information Technology
Applewild School, Fitchburg, MA
Accredited by AISNE
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP(S): The Network and Desktop Support Specialist functions under the general administrative supervision of the Director of Operations of the school.
BASIC FUNCTION OF THE POSITION: The Network and Desktop Support Specialist is primarily engaged with the development, implementation, operation, monitoring and evaluation of the overall technology program for the school. The Network and Desktop Support Specialist coordinates and may direct staff development on technology competencies necessary for teaching students and performing administrative functions at the school. The Network and Desktop Support Specialist works collaboratively with faculty and staff to use technology applications as an integral part of school operations. The Network and Desktop Support Specialist will oversee the networking of campus facilities at the school’s Fitchburg and Devens locations and ensure that the established network remains secure and without interruption. Utilizing a hands-on approach, the successful candidate will demonstrate knowledge of and expertise in a wide range of operating systems, hardware, and network technologies, while demonstrating sensitivity to the various needs and abilities of Applewild community members.
RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Technology as it relates to the educational and administrative needs of the school
- Support of the school’s networks and VOIP phone system
- Direct, implement and update the school wide technology plan
- Plan for disaster recovery, data integrity and security of the school’s digital assets
- Instruct the faculty and staff on the use of specific hardware and software
- Consult with faculty on the integration of educational technology into the school’s curriculum
- Explore new software for possible use in the classroom and in the day to day operations of the school
- Serve as primary support for the school’s information management systems, collaborating with the School Registrar, external affairs department and division heads to accurately collect and maintain student, family and donor information
- Coordinate, supervise and schedule the installation and maintenance of the school’s technology infrastructure
- Maintain the school’s ethernet and wireless networks with approximately 100 users
- Specify and recommend hardware, software, and supplies as they relate to the technology needs of the school
- Interface with vendors, other outside companies, and agencies as they relate to the responsibilities of this position
- Maintain an inventory of hardware, software, license agreements, usernames and passwords as they relate to the responsibilities of the position
- Network with IT colleagues in other schools for current best practices
- Attend workshops, seminars and conferences relating to technology and education
- Keep abreast of the latest technology and software innovations by reading current literature
REQUIRED SKILLS, EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field
- 3-5 years working experience
- Experience working with and/or teaching students about technology
- Working knowledge of computers and related technologies as they apply to K-9 education
- Working knowledge of infrastructure requirements and components of ethernet and wireless networks, and VOIP telecommunications systems
- Working knowledge of Mac OS, Windows OS and Chrome
- Familiarity with FACTS and Blackbaud data driven information systems, the Google suite including Google Classroom, Microsoft Office 365, QuickBooks, etc.
- Skill in communicating effectively with all levels of faculty and staff, primarily involving technological information
- Skill in leading technology planning discussions and efforts
ABOUT APPLEWILD SCHOOL
Applewild School is an independent day and junior boarding school that offers a formative, individualized, and innovative education for students preschool through eighth grade, plus Prospect Studio, an interdisciplinary program for eighth and ninth graders seeking an additional year of preparation before secondary school.
With a tradition of excellence in liberal arts education and a deep emphasis on our core values, Applewild School prepares students both for secondary school and for fulfilling and balanced lives. Our supportive and inclusive community supports our students as they develop strengths, overcome challenges, and learn to love learning.