The Park School, Brookline, MA
Accredited by AISNE
The Park School is a PreK to Grade 8 independent school in Brookline, MA, dedicated to excellence in education. The cornerstone of Park’s program is academic excellence, combining both high standards of scholarship and the encouragement of each child to develop to his or her greatest potential. Our school community fosters a nurturing environment in which children develop curiosity, express creativity, appreciate the value of hard work and discipline, and experience the joy of learning. Park’s faculty encourages each student to strive for intellectual, physical and moral growth and to become contributing members of the community.
The Park School seeks an Assistant Director of Facilities to begin as soon as possible. Under the supervision of and with the support of the Director of Facilities, the Assistant Director of Facilities is responsible for maintaining the School’s physical plant in a clean, safe operating condition, adhering to an established maintenance program, and responding to unexpected maintenance needs. The Director and Assistant Director of Facilities will work together to plan, organize, and direct the daily work of the facilities team. Additionally, the Assistant Director of Facilities is responsible for the oversight of the pool, snow removal, and the transportation fleet (3 school buses and 2 trucks). Since this position will assume the full responsibility for the facilities team in the absence of the Director, the position requires knowledge and skills to manage all facilities functions. Typical hours for this position will be from 6:30 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Roles & Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Director of Facilities, prioritize projects, distribute workload amongst the team, and oversee work to ensure quality and timely completion
- artner with the Director of Facilities to anticipate maintenance and capital expenditure needs to enable the Director of Facilities to develop the annual and 5-year operations and capital budgets
- Participate in the process of soliciting bids for contracted work, prepare requests for proposals, and hire contractors
- Oversee the work of contracted trades (including HVAC, carpenters, electricians, plumbers, and painters) to ensure timely completion and quality workMonitor the HVAC system on a daily basis and be responsive to employee needs and troubleshoot HVAC issues, as necessary
- Manage the work order system by prioritizing, distributing, analyzing trends and closing out all completed facilities requests in a timely fashion.
- Work with the Custodial Supervisor to develop and maintain short- and long-term cleaning project schedules
- Collaborate with the Director of Facilities to hire, train, supervise, and evaluate facilities and custodial employees
- Assist with state required facility inspections (monthly, quarterly, and yearly)
- Lead the effort to manage snow removal by timely ordering supplies, being available to plan for and assign staff coverage for snow removal (including day and evening shifts), and plow and shovel snow
- Lead the effort to manage the pool including ordering supplies, anticipating and planning for ongoing maintenance of the pool and related property, plant and equipment, and monitoring the chemicals throughout the summer in collaboration with the lifeguard team and PureAqua
- Coordinate with the Athletic and Summer Programs Departments to assist with curricular and auxiliary programming needs and manage scheduling of building and grounds management.
- Assist with after hours and weekend emergency calls involving facilities needs for buildings, grounds, on-campus houses and apartments. This duty is performed irregularly. There is required notification to the Director of Facilities when travelling more than one hour away from Park due to the 24/7 nature of the role.
Transportation Fleet Management
- Oversee transportation fleet maintenance and repairs and maintain necessary record-keeping
- Coordinate with the Athletic and Summer Programs Departments to schedule vehicle servicing to properly maintain transportation fleet
- Ensure that the transportation fleet is maintained and operated in accordance with all local, state and federal regulations
- Oversee the training plan for all Park employees authorized to drive a vehicle
- As needed, drive a school bus
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned by the Director of Facilities.
- 10+ years of experience in facilities operations and maintenance preferred
- Ability to operate a variety of power and hand tools
- Ability to exert up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally and up to 20 lbs. of force regularly
- Ability to withstand inside and outside environmental conditions in a variety of weather condition
- Ability to walk, stand, maintain balance, climb ladders, crouch, and kneel
- Familiarity with Google drive and facilities related work order systems
- Knowledge of buildings and grounds and facilities operations and practices
- Good knowledge of operations and maintenance of HVAC equipment 2
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the essential duties of the position
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- A valid Massachusetts drivers license is required
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) preferred, willingness to be trained to acquire a license accepted
- School Bus Instructor Certification preferred
- Certified Pool Operator License (CPO) preferred, willingness to be trained to acquire a license accepted
- CPR, First Aid and AED Certification required yearly
Expected Hours of Work
- A full-time exempt position that requires occasional evening and weekend work and requires active engagement in the life of the School community. Since this role serves as the emergency responder to facilities issues off-hours, it is required that the employee in this role live on-campus. Therefore, housing is provided as part of the compensation package.
- Please visit the Employment Page to complete an application and upload your resume, cover letter, and names of three references.
- Competitive salary and benefits, including a strong professional development program, will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Park School welcomes candidates who will add to the diversity of our community and who have demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in their work.
- The Park School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, sex, disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or family composition or any other status protected by applicable law in the administration of its employment, education, admission, financial aid, and other policies and programs.
- Facilities Manager