The Cambridge School of Weston, Weston, MA
Accredited by NEASC
The Cambridge School of Weston seeks a part-time, experienced Mandarin Teacher beginning August 17, 2021. The Language Department is seeking a dynamic educator who must be fluent or near-native in standard Mandarin and enthusiastically shares knowledge about teaching Chinese as a second language, as well as Chinese societies and cultures in East Asian and global contexts. Candidates who value the immersive learning environment, are comfortable with classroom technologies, can work in a collegial atmosphere, and pursue professional development as lifelong learners are strongly preferred. The ideal candidate possesses strong interpersonal skills, values progressive education, builds rapport with students, and has experience in differentiating and working in multiple modalities. At CSW, we teach a diverse group of learners. Applicants should be well-versed in culturally responsive teaching practices, be committed to developing their cultural competency and equity literacy skills, and approach teaching language through an anti-racist lens. The ideal candidate is a gifted creative educator who values working in a vibrant and creative school and understands the value of outreach to the greater Boston community. As a boarding and day school, we also seek an individual with a desire to participate in the community beyond the classroom, for example, facilitating cultural presentations and collaborating with the Director of International Education and Global Engagement.
Specific Responsibilities for This Position Include:
- Teaching five blocks in the Language Department in modules one, two, and three. Each “block” is a six-week course that meets for 90-minutes each day. Module One classes begin on September 1 and Module Three classes end on January 21.
- Active participation in all faculty-staff meetings and department meetings.
- Teaching classes that span 9th-grade through 12th-grade.
- Developing and refining the Mandarin curriculum.
- Providing office hours and support of student learning needs.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor of arts degree or equivalent in Chinese or teaching Chinese as a second language; Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- Master’s degree in a related field with experience teaching Chinese as a second language will be considered.
- Ability to teach both traditional and simplified Chinese is required.
- Fluent or near-native in standard Mandarin and English.
- Minimum of two years’ experience of teaching Mandarin preferred.
- A demonstrated commitment to developing critical communicative and collaborative skills, as well as fostering creativity in adolescents.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to make strong connections with students and parents.
- An ideal candidate cares deeply about issues of social justice and demonstrates a willingness to incorporate this work into their language curriculum.
- Facility with using technology effectively, specifically Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals (Gmail, Docs, Sheets, Google Classroom, etc.) and the ability to adopt new course management systems quickly.
To Apply for This Position: Candidates should submit a one- to two-page résumé and a cover letter, including a statement of educational philosophy, demonstrated experience of working with students with diverse backgrounds and learning styles, and the names and contact information of at least three references to MandarinPosition@csw.org. No phone calls, please. We will accept applications until the position has been filled.
A leader among America’s progressive independent schools, The Cambridge School of Weston (CSW) has been at the forefront of educational innovation since 1886. At this day and boarding high school located in Weston MA, creative, motivated students embrace challenging work and address complex questions — with curiosity and courage. Inspired by the diverse perspectives and high expectations of our justice-minded community, they find and develop what is extraordinary in themselves and in the world around them. CSW's mission is to provide a progressive education that emphasizes deep learning, meaningful relationships, and a dynamic program that inspires students to discover who they are and what their contribution is to their school, their community, and the world.
The Cambridge School of Weston does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, retaliation, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, disability, mental illness, genetics, choice of health insurance, marital status, age, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law. We are an equal opportunity employer and we encourage candidates who will increase our diversity to apply.