Dedham Country Day School, Dedham, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Apply here by sending a cover letter and resume to Katie Ouellette, Special Assistant to the Head of School.
Dedham Country Day School (DCD) seeks a well-qualified, part-time (morning) Lower School Reading Specialist to join the robust faculty in our Pre-Kindergarten to grade 8 community for the 2019-20 school year.
At DCD, our children develop a willingness to try, an ability to do, and a drive to care. We strive to provide a multicultural and anti-bias education which celebrates the diversity of our community and prepares children with the skills they need to connect and thrive in our diverse world. We believe that a broad range of experiences and viewpoints enhances learning and enriches life for students and faculty alike. We strongly encourage applications from people of color or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools, and are committed to an inclusive school experience for all who work at DCD. Additionally, DCD places a high value on the professional growth of all faculty and staff and provides outstanding opportunities for individual professional development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Teach small group reading instruction in the Lower School (grades 3-5)
· Work closely with at-risk readers
· Administer assessments as needed
· Provide support in writing skills
· Communicate effectively (in person and in writing) with parents
· Compose formal comments on each student at the conclusion of each term
· Participate in Team Meetings for grades and divisions, regular faculty/staff meetings, and professional development opportunities
· Take part in the school community as a contributing member, such as through committee work, duties, etc.
· Provide weekly coverage for recess and lunch duties
Strong candidates will have:
· A minimum of 5 years experience working with students with reading and learning needs and a master’s degree in education
· A strong understanding of the reading process
· Knowledge of and/or training in reading programs, such as Orton-Gillingham, RAVE-O, Wilson, etc.
· Knowledge of assessments, such as DIBELS, WRMT, DRA, etc.
· Experience building an inclusive environment and an awareness of anti-bias teaching practices
· An openness to integrate academic technology into the classroom experience
· A sense of humor and a willingness to be part of a collaborative team
School Mission and Philosophy:
DCD is proud to offer an educational experience that:
· Provides to each child a unique educational balance of challenging academics, arts, and athletics;
· Embraces an inclusive interdependent community of students, teachers, and parents that fosters trust and encourages children to take risks;
· Creates independent, resilient, lifelong learners through engaging, developmentally based teaching designed to meet varied learning styles; and
· Inspires students to become caring, ethical members of the larger world by emphasizing thoughtful citizenship and respect for self and others.
Dedham Country Day School provides a competitive salary and benefits plan. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Katie Ouellette, Special Assistant to the Head of School at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dedham Country Day School is an independent, coeducational Pre-Kindergarten - Grade 8 school located just west of Boston in Dedham MA. DCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or ancestry, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any non-job related physical or mental disability.