St John's Prep, Danvers, MA
Accredited by NEASC
St. John’s Prep is an inclusive, Catholic, Xaverian Brothers Sponsored School for young men in grades 6 through 12. Founded on the Xaverian values of compassion, humility, simplicity, trust, and zeal, we educate students to be, do and stand for good in the world. We enroll 1,500 students from more than 80 communities.
The Payroll/Accounting Specialist reports to the Controller/Director of Human Resources and is responsible for transactional Benefits/HR administration and compliance and all aspects of payroll from processing to general ledger input and reconciliation. In addition, the Payroll/Accounting Specialist will provide support for the Finance Department and will act as back-up for other members of the Finance team as needed.
Solely responsible for all aspects of payroll from processing to general ledger input and reconciliation
- Maintains payroll database including gathering and auditing timekeeping data and inputting new hires, leave times, terminations, address changes, and pay/deduction adjustments in the system
- Enters bi-weekly data into the payroll system and verifies accuracy for timely transmission to a payroll provider
- Assures that all necessary pre and post-tax deductions for benefit programs are included in appropriate payrolls
- Verifies accuracy of tax impounds and federal tax deposits made by payroll provider
- Verifies accuracy of federal/state payroll tax reports submitted by payroll provider, including W-2 forms and quarterly 941s
- Prepares and reconciles general ledger entries reflecting payrolls and withholding accounts
- Assures accurate payout of budgeted salary and stipend amounts including tracking of change
Human Resources/Benefits Administration
Serves as administrator of and point of contact for all benefit programs, including:
- Works with Controller/Director of Human Resources to research benefit program options
- Responsible for implementation of new benefit programs
- Monitors enrollment dates and adds or deletes employees to and from applicable benefits coverage as required
- Calculates and reconciles amounts due to the respective vendors and submits invoices for timely payment through Accounts Payable or remits via online transmission, when applicable. Provide Accounts Payable with supporting documentation for online remittances in order that information is complete within Accounts Payable system.
- Reconciles invoices due to vendors for benefits coverage, etc.
- Trains eligible faculty/staff on available benefits and assists faculty/staff with payroll/benefit questions
- Tracks vacation/sick /other leave
- Assures compliance with school’s retirement plan
- Maintains and updates personnel files
- Prepares faculty/staff agreements and compensation schedules, letters of agreement for non-faculty/staff coaches
- Coordinates with Director of Human Resources, to review and revise employee handbook annually, with addition, as necessary, of compliance with new regulations.
- Compiles and enters survey data for NAIS and NBOA
- Other duties as may be assigned by Controller/Director of Human Resources
- Maintain strict confidentiality of employee and school information at all times
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Must be a self-starter who is detail oriented and able to handle multiple priorities accurately in a fast-paced environment
- Minimum of five years of experience in human resource, payroll and benefit administration
- Experience in non-profit or school environment beneficial
- Blackbaud Financial Edge (accounting system) and ADP (payroll provider) experience ideal
- Accounting experience a plus
- Experience in HR compliance a plus
- The candidate will adhere to a strict confidentiality in regard to School data, records, and information.
All members of the faculty are expected to give witness to our mission at St. John’s. In addition to classroom teaching responsibilities, we encourage all members of the faculty to be involved in the life of the school beyond the classroom through a wide range of co-curricular, intramural and interscholastic programs. For more information about St.
John’s Prep, including our academic, spiritual and student life programs, please visit
Interested candidates are asked to send a cover letter, résumé, and academic transcripts
to Tracii Schaeublin, Director of Human Resources, at email@example.com.