Shady Hill School, Cambridge, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Since 1915, Shady Hill, a school of approximately 520 students (PreK - 8) and 70 faculty, has been a leader in progressive education. Shady Hill is a deeply mission-driven school. We seek to develop independent, joyful and curious learners who respect their own accomplishments and those of others. We strive to be a community whose values are strong and whose teachers are unafraid to engage students in important questions. The school’s program allows children to explore their worlds and test their powers. As a school with a historical and contemporary commitment to social justice, we believe that an inclusive and equitable community is an educational and moral imperative that empowers us all. Therefore, we seek to hire teachers who demonstrate a mindset and skill set that prioritizes cultural competence, equity, and justice in their practice with students and in their work with colleagues.
A hallmark of a Shady Hill education is the Central Subject methodology. Students in Grades III-VIII engage in an assigned Central Subject, an in-depth, integrated study of a particular time or people in history. The year-long study, which emphasizes strong content, the use of primary sources, understanding of multiple perspectives, acquisition of essential skills, and self-discovery, forms the core of our curriculum. Gradeheads (lead teachers) are responsible for developing content and implementing instruction in both social studies/history and language arts, with the support of performing arts and visual arts faculty to integrate these disciplines.
Shady Hill School is also a teaching training institution. Its long-standing Teacher Training Center, which brings as many as eighteen apprentice teachers to campus each year, prepares talented people for careers in education and allows each faculty member the opportunity to be a mentor and meaningful contributor to the teaching field. Because of the school’s commitment to teacher training, the school seeks teachers with certification or a demonstrated interest in working towards certification when hired by Shady Hill School.
- Teach select physical education classes in grades PreK-8
- Coach a 6-8 athletic team each of the three seasons
- Attend weekly curriculum planning and department meetings
- Write reports on student progress
- Provide department office support and assist with major events, such as Movement Assembly and Fitness Night
- Serve as a full community member by attending weekly faculty meetings, sitting on committees, participating in admissions activities and covering duties and other routine faculty responsibilities
- Engage in professional development to enhance inclusive teaching and leadership practices. The school offers extensive professional development opportunities, including faculty summer study, travel grants, and yearly trips to the People of Color Conference for BIPOC employees
- BA/BS in Physical Education preferred
- Background in physical education and athletics or related field, with a range of teaching experience with children and adolescents PreK-8
- Yoga, martial arts, dance and/or fencing experience preferred
- Coaching experience in some of the sports Shady Hill offers: cross country, soccer, field hockey, flag football, basketball, ice hockey, lacrosse, track and field, ultimate frisbee and tennis
- Strong communication skills
Finalists are expected to teach a demonstration lesson. A writing sample and college transcripts are also required.
Annual salary for faculty is determined according to a step scale commensurate with experience. A coaching stipend is also offered.
To apply: please send a cover letter, resume, and three references as separate documents to: email@example.com. Please be sure to include “PE Teacher and Coach” in the subject line of the email.
Shady Hill offers competitive salaries and a generous benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance plans, a school-matched retirement plan and paid time off. Shady Hill is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. For more information on Shady Hill please visit us at www.shs.org.