Fayerweather Street School, Cambridge, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Fayerweather Street School is a PreK through 8th-grade co-educational program. Our mission supports our belief that young people are capable of developing the knowledge, skills, and awareness to flourish in a complex, diverse and increasingly interdependent world. It is the commitment of our teachers and their love for students that creates strong partnerships in the learning process. We believe that truly knowing each child is the heart of a great education. We strive to engage each child’s intellect, imagination and awakening sense of social responsibility, to help our students become confident, resourceful and enthusiastic learners. We are committed to building a diverse and welcoming community in which compassion, humor, and respect are woven throughout the curriculum and spirit of the day.
Fayerweather seeks a full-time PreKindergarten, Co-Teacher to begin in the fall of the 2020-21 academic year. This dynamic individual should demonstrate the following skills:
Working at FSS
- be knowledgeable of our mission and philosophy of progressive education
- demonstrate knowledge and commitment to the importance of diversity, equity, and belonging in an elementary/middle school
Teaching at FSS
- Develop and implement a developmentally appropriate preschool program for young children in collaboration with a co-teacher.
- Teach early math and literacy programs using developmentally appropriate, researched-based curriculum
- Plan and implement activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs of our students.
- Assist students with understanding and developing value for people’s human differences
- Actively ensure growth in every student by utilizing a variety of instructional techniques
- Maintain classroom management conducive to learning
- Complete progress reports for each student in January and June using school guidelines
- Facilitate with co-teacher Fall and Spring parent conferences
- Collaborate with Kindergarten and 1st/2nd Grade peers to develop and coordinate and plan curriculum
- Increase professional knowledge by participating in professional development opportunities
- Attend weekly staff meetings, as well as child study meetings pertaining to the social-emotional and cognitive well-being of students
- Attend school events outside regular school hours including, but not limited to: curriculum night, new family/admissions events, admissions open house, admission programs, and professional development sessions
- Provide weekly and monthly schedules and lesson plans of activities
- 1 to 4 years of early elementary teaching experience
- Bachelor's degree in education or related subject area
Fayerweather Street School has a rich and progressive history of successfully educating students for over 50 years. Fayerweather Street School (FSS) is a co-educational independent day school enrolling approximately 200 students in Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade. Located in the Fresh Pond neighborhood in Cambridge, Fayerweather offers a progressive, hands-on experiential learning environment where the pace of childhood is respected, and where children develop a love of learning, know how they learn best and have voice and agency in their school community.
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to Employment@Fayerweather.org. Please be prepared to provide at least five references, and at least two of your references must be or have been, your direct reports.
*State name and PreK Co-Teacher, in the email header. No phone calls, please. For more information go to www.fayerweather.org/employment