Phillips Exeter Academy, Exeter, NH
Accredited by NEASC
The Religion Department is seeking a full-time religion instructor. We are looking for a dynamic candidate who will be an active participant in the academic, athletic and residential programs at the Academy. Applicants should be able to teach a number of the current Religion Department courses as found in the Academy Courses of Instruction booklet (click here), pages 59-63.
Prior teaching experience at the independent secondary school or college level is preferred, as is an advanced degree in religion/philosophy or a relevant field.
While individual responsibilities will vary from one faculty position to another, the major job duties of all faculty members include the following:
- Teaching: Faculty teach four classes per trimester. All classes are student-centered discussions around a Harkness table. In order to meet the intellectual needs of the school’s talented and highly motivated students, teachers are expected to be dedicated to daily preparation for the best possible classes.
- Cultural Competency: Faculty are expected to demonstrate respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in all aspects of Academy life.
- Residential Life: Faculty generally reside in campus housing and play a critical role in cultivating Exeter’s community-centered student dormitory life. Each faculty member is generally responsible for one weekend and one to three week nights of dormitory duty per month, depending on the dormitory size.
- Advising: Faculty are expected to serve as mentors to student advisees throughout students’ time at Exeter. The adviser is the main liaison between an advisee’s family/guardian and the Academy.
- Extracurricular Activities: Faculty are generally expected to participate in the school’s extracurricular activities (e.g. coaching, advising student clubs, and/or committee work).
- Diversity or cultural competency education (conferences, seminars, in-service programs, coursework, independent study and understanding of intercultural perspectives.
- Proof of authority to work in the United States, full time.
- Successfully complete a criminal background check (reviewed every 3 years).
- Clean Driving record (reviewed annually).
- Successfully complete a pre-employment physical/health screening examination that may include a drug screening (position dependent).
To apply please visit our website at www.exeter.edu/careers
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship. The Academy is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, marital status, religion, gender, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, genetic information, physical or mental disabilities or any other classification protected by state or federal law.