Stoneleigh-Burnham School, Greenfield, MA
Accredited by NEASC
Science Department Chair
Stoneleigh-Burnham School, an independent boarding and day school for girls in grades 7-12 in Greenfield, Massachusetts, seeks an experienced, dynamic Science Department Chair with a focus on Biology and Environmental Sciences for the 2020-2021 academic year, effective August 2020. The Department Chair teaches four or five sections of science; serves as a leader in curriculum and pedagogy; assists in hiring, evaluating, and supporting faculty members in the Department; and represents the Science Department on the Curriculum Committee. Stoneleigh-Burnham School, the first girls’ school in New England to offer the IB Diploma Programme, is committed to excellence in teaching and holds high standards for its faculty.
Located in the Connecticut River Pioneer Valley, a short drive from the Five College Consortium (UMass Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire and Amherst College), Stoneleigh- Burnham attracts students from the local area and around the world. Our mission centers around helping girls discover and use their authentic voices. Teachers who thrive at SBS are deeply passionate about their teaching and about girls’ education, are collaborative colleagues, are excited by professional growth, and are committed to fostering an inclusive community.
- Teach 4-5 Biology and Environmental Science courses at different levels, through IB.
- Supervise co-curricular activities (e.g. coaching, clubs, community service activities, etc.)
- Other responsibilities include: residential duty, advising students, serving on committees, and other routine duties.
- Bachelor’s degree at minimum; Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in teaching the IB curriculum is helpful, though not required.
- Demonstrated investment in making a positive impact on the lives of adolescent girls, both in and out of the classroom.
- Multicultural competency.
- The desire to work and live in a boarding school community.
Stoneleigh-Burnham strives to cultivate an inclusive community and diversify its faculty; candidates who can contribute to the diversity of the community are encouraged to apply. Salary is commensurate with experience. Stoneleigh-Burnham School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please send cover letter, resume, and references to:
Shelley Futter, Assistant to the Deans
- Department Chair