Mount Alvernia High School, Newton, MA
Accredited by NEASC
Mount Alvernia High School is an all-girls Catholic 7-12 high school sponsored by the Missionary Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception located in Newton, MA. The school currently has 170 students from almost 40 different communities.
We are currently looking to hire a School Counselor for Grades 7-10, for the 2020-2021 school year. This is a full time position beginning September 1. This candidate will work collaboratively with families, faculty and co-workers including Administration and Admissions. This position will work closely with the school’s Grade 11-12 School Counselor and Learning Support Specialist.
- Working with students and families to support the academic and social-emotional success of students in grades 7-10
- Serving as a resource to connect families to community resources as needed
- Serving as a resource in supporting faculty around student social-emotional concerns as neede
- Leading student advisory sessions
- Organizing / Assisting in all special in-house programs including social-emotional / mental health programming including SOS (Signs of Suicide), student orientation events, open house, entrance testing, standardized testing; coordinating all in-house testing
- Coordinating Johns Hopkins Talent Search Program
- Coordinating Naviance for all grade levels and college / career exploration for grades 7-10
- Serving as Assistant Liaison with elementary/middle schools
- Before school supervision-alternating days; semester exam period-break supervision; extended time supervision
- Coordinating transfers to or from grades 7-10
- Assisting in the admissions process--Admissions interviewer and evaluation of student applications
Qualifications: Masters in School Counseling or a related field, MA School / Guidance Counselor Certification preferred. Previous experience working with adolescents in an educational setting. Knowledge of learning profiles including 504 plans and IEPs. Must be flexible, an effective communicator, and respectful of student confidentiality; must have the ability to recognize problems and be willing to collaborate if necessary to achieve a solution; must maintain professional ethics and work within legal guidelines.
Candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume to:
Nicole Pascarelli O’Brien
Interim Head of School
Mount Alvernia High School Mission Statement: As a community of learners in relationship with the Creator
and steeped in the Franciscan tradition, Mount Alvernia High School enlightens and shapes courageous,
compassionate and articulate women who believe that life has a purpose, who are able to discern the ‘good’
and who will be an effective force for it in the world.
- School Counselor