Shady Hill School, Cambridge, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Position: Auxiliary Programs Afterschool Teacher
Reports To: Director of Auxiliary Programs
Department: Auxiliary Programs
Date Updated: July 27, 2020
Basic Purpose: The Shady Hill Auxiliary Programs team is seeking dedicated, dynamic and engaging instructors to join our experienced Afterschool team for the 2020-21 school year. This is a part-time position.
Auxiliary Programming is available to all Shady Hill families from Beginners through Grade VIII, and provides families with much needed after school childcare. Staff members are expected to supervise and engage students both during indoor and outdoor play time, support students with homework, and work with coworkers to develop and implement fun, enriching, developmentally appropriate activities for students.
For 100 years, Shady Hill has been a leader in progressive elementary education and our after school program is part of that tradition. The program allows children to explore their worlds and test their powers; we seek to develop independent, joyful and curious learners who respect their own accomplishments and those of others. As a diverse school, we believe that a varied and inclusive community is an educational and moral imperative that empowers us all. Therefore, we especially welcome applications from candidates who will contribute to our multicultural community.
Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays 2:30 PM – 5:30* PM
Wednesdays 11:30 AM – 5:30* PM
* Afterschool staff are required to stay until the last child leaves on a rotating basis
- Plan, develop, and implement fund and engaging activities for students in an out-of-school environment.
- Monitor student attendance by signing students into attendance software and signing out when a child is picked up by a caregiver.
- Ensure the safety and well-being of each student by creating a safe and engaging classroom.
- Observes all rules and regulations of Shady Hill School.
- Care for and maintain Afterschool spaces, equipment, supplies and property of the program.
- Other essential duties as assigned.
- Experience working with children in a multi-age setting.
- Experience coaching a sport and/or experience working with children in the following areas:
- Art and crafts
- Creative Writing
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty to enhance community.
- Interest in child development and best practices in education.
- Commitment to respecting the needs of each child and honoring the pace of childhood.
This offer of employment is contingent upon the School’s learning being on campus for 2020-2021 Academic Year. Afterschool Teachers will not perform duties if instruction occurs off site and online. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the School may need to modify your duties, responsibilities, and/or schedule based on enrollment and business needs.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references as separate documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include “Afterschool Teacher” in the subject line of the e-mail.
Shady Hill offers competitive salaries and a generous benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance plans, a school-matched retirement plan and paid time off. Shady Hill is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. For more information on Shady Hill please visit us at www.shs.org.