Commonwealth School, Boston, MA
Accredited by NEASC
Commonwealth School, a small independent high school in Boston’s Back Bay, is looking for a fulltime Staff Accountant, starting immediately.
The Staff Accountant reports to the Director of Finance. The Staff Accountant performs a variety of general accounting tasks in the business office with responsibilities primarily around the monthly closings, bank reconciliations, accounts payable processing, accounts receivable management, payroll processing and general ledger entries and reconciliations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Staff Accountant will:
- Be responsible for accurate accounts payable processing from obtaining invoice approvals, coding and entering invoices into the accounting system, reconciling vendor statements and processing weekly check-runs.
- Maintain accurate vendor account records and obtain current W-9 forms and insurance certificates, if applicable, from vendors on a timely basis. Process and file annual 1099 forms by the IRS deadline.
- Make daily bank deposits via remote deposit process & post cash receipts into the CYMA accounting software. Make timely collection calls on all overdue receivable accounts.
- Process monthly payroll through ADP and prepare and post payroll and benefit journal entries into the accounting software.
- Reconcile all donor gift transactions recorded in the accounting system with the Development team’s gift software system on a monthly basis. Ensure variances are researched and resolved on a timely basis. • Reconcile all cash and investment accounts to bank and investment statements monthly.
- Track and reconcile company credit card, Staples and Amazon charges to vendor statements on a timely basis. Ensure accurate recording of all expense transactions in the accounting software.
- Manage employee expense reimbursement process which includes matching receipts to approved reports, verifying G/L coding, posting batches into CYMA and remitting payments to employees on a weekly basis.
- Oversee and manage employee and student MBTA pass programs.
- Work closely with the Admissions Office to assist in the student enrollment and re-enrollment process
- Complete monthly reconciliations of all balance sheet activity on a timely basis and maintain sufficient reconciliation backup for review and approval by the Director of Finance.
- Reconcile internal records with employees, management, external vendors and families as needed.
- Research questionable data and recommend actions to resolve discrepancies.
- Suggest and assist in implementing process improvements to the departmental workload.
- Maintain neat and orderly workspace and filing systems (electronic and hard copy files).
- Manage petty cash account and reconcile to replenish on a monthly basis.
- Perform other such accounting, financial, or administrative tasks as may be required from time to time.
Qualifications Candidates should have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a Bachelor’s degree in business with emphasis in accounting is required. Experience working in independent schools preferred.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience working in accounting with a record of success as part of a small accounting team.
- A self-starter mentality in approach to the workload.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced professional environment.
- Strong organizational, verbal and written communication skills is a must.
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task is required.
- Must possess an eagerness to learn, possess a positive attitude and be willing to take on new tasks as needed.
- Must be highly skilled in dealing with financial and numeric data and possess no tolerance for financial sloppiness.
- Competency in Microsoft applications including Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Must have excellent work habits, including a willingness to work the hours necessary to get the job done, especially when important deadlines cause greater than normal departmental pressures.
Enthusiastic about working in a lively, intellectually exciting community. Founded sixty years ago, Commonwealth offers its 150 students an education that sets very rigorous academic standards, makes the arts a part of everyday life, and, through various programs with the surrounding city, promotes social responsibility.
More information about the school can be found at www.commschool.org.
Interested candidates should send résumé with cover letter to Susan Tibert at email@example.com. No phone calls please.