- Summer Programs
Acera School, Winchester, MA
Apply here by January 21, 2019. Please submit cover letter and resume along with a one-page personal statement of educational philosophy, description of a week-long class idea, and salary expectations.
Acera: The Massachusetts School of Science, Creativity and Leadership
Winchester, MA (8 miles north of Boston) 5 Lowell Avenue
Acera is a K-8 school which hires teacher entrepreneurs to create interdisciplinary, STEAM-rich hands-on learning approaches for high ability students. At Acera, students explore and learn at a pace appropriate to each child’s unique motivation and potential, not their age. Our culture is not about pressure to achieve; it is about freedom to thrive. We support our students’ innate curiosity and love of learning. Through developing EQ, complex and creative thinking skills, and systems awareness, we develop thinkers and innovators who will be able to make positive change in our world. Be part of a new progressive school with an exciting vision for impact! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you want to change the world of education? We do too. Acera is looking for someone with passion, high energy, and a commitment to innovation in education to contribute to our Summer STEAM Camp. Our educational mission is to change education in Massachusetts and build a model for 21st century learning. We have an ambitious STEM, creativity and leadership emphasis for our students.
The Acera Summer STEAM Camp is a creativity-based arts and sciences day camp where children can nurture their natural desire to inquire, create, and innovate. With emphasis on critical thought, creative problem solving, and integration of content areas, our diverse program offerings inspire all types of learners and thinkers. Our staff consists of professionals with significant experience in the classroom and in their own fields of expertise. Among them are award winners, active research scientists, and working artists. We believe in offering high caliber, authentic, engaging instruction, as much during the summer as during our school year program. See last year’s program here: https://acerasummercamp.org/
Acera seeks a dynamic, motivated, and dedicated professional to create and lead learning experiences for elementary, middle, and/or high school students during our summer camp (June 10-August 23). We seek a professional who has a deep love of and respect for children. The ideal candidate will be creative, articulate, flexible, collaborative, and have exceptional executive functioning skills.
The expectations for this position are:
- Create half-day, week-long curricula with guidance from Summer Director, leveraging essential questions as a springboard for inventing interdisciplinary, project based learning
- Deliver curricula for a minimum of 4 weeks, between the weeks of June 10 and August 23. Teach morning and afternoon sessions, between hours 9 am-4 pm daily.
- Adapt class focus and strategies to differentiate for each student’s needs, managing assistant teachers or interns as needed
- Be fearless about proactively including STEM rich learning, interweaving technology and leading edge scientific ideas, while leveraging collaborators from “real-world” who can deepen impact
- Apply an eclectic blend of learning pedagogy, including teaching for understanding, multi age, Montessori, thematic and interdisciplinary, experiential, and STEM oriented
- Use a teacher as facilitator style. This is not a traditional “in charge teacher who dispenses the knowledge” approach. Our teachers serve as facilitators who enable student learning in a way customized for student abilities and interests.
- Curate materials for the sessions, demonstrate responsibility and care in shared Innovation Lab space
- Communicate openly, with honesty and compassion.
- Commit to 4 weeks minimum, between the weeks of June 10 and August 23.
The successful candidate will have philosophical alignment with our core values and learning approach, which are outlined on our website: www.aceraschool.org
- Bachelor degree, preferably in an area other than education
- Masters degree in education a bonus but not required
- At least 2 years of teaching experience
- Experience with gifted education, special education, progressive learning approaches and a goal for understanding orientation (instead of a focus on core knowledge acquisition) is highly preferred.
- Fearlessness in and ideally with a love of science, mathematics, and integration of technology as a contextual tool enabling learning
- Great conceptual thinking skills, and able to make connections across disciplines, respond to students' ideas and inquiry by adapting their lesson plans, and ability to coach into where students are to provide the right scaffold and instruction for each student
- Deep content knowledge of one or multiple topics: architecture, engineering, metal casting, woodworking, carving, jewelry making, cooking, fashion design, robotics etc.
- Curious and Passionate about engaging children in creative learning experiences
- Hands-on with a range of technical (coding in Scratch, 3D printing, etc.) and/or non-technical (sewing, crafting, sculpting, etc.) skills is highly preferred.
- Have good organization, time management, communication and interpersonal skills
Please submit cover letter and resume along with a one-page personal statement of educational philosophy, description of a weeklong class idea, and salary expectations to: hiring@Aceraschool.org
Anticipated start date: Early June, 2019 (flexible)
Equal Opportunity Employer
Acera is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or disability as defined and required by state and federal laws.