The Wheeler School, Providence, RI
Accredited by NEASC
The Wheeler School After School Teacher is responsible for helping to plan and provide for the safe operation of Wheeler’s After School Program (WOW) in a manner consistent with the policies and philosophy of the School. WOW provides supervised age-appropriate activities for Wheeler students in nursery through Grade Five from 2:30 PM until 5:30 PM/5:45 PM, Monday through Friday during the academic year when school is in session. In addition, the Teacher will be required to work during Wheeler’s vacation camp programs. The after school position reports to the Director of Auxiliary Programs and the Auxiliary Associate. This is a part-time position, approximately 15 hours per week, and is not eligible for benefits.
A minimum of 2 year’s relevant work experience with primary school-age children is required. Preference is given to candidates possessing or working toward a degree in Elementary Education or Early Childhood Development. The qualified candidate must be physically able to participate in activities with the students and be able to make informed and sound judgments, particularly with regard to safety, under a variety of circumstances. Must possess excellent communication skills, be resourceful, and be capable of working with minimal supervision. A team player who can collaborate with peers, manage program staff, demonstrate flexibility, and good communication. Must, at all times, demonstrate a high degree of professionalism when working with and around children and adults. Wheeler seeks candidates who will add to the racial, cultural, and gender diversity of our school community.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting the mission, philosophy, and core values of the School
- Planning, organizing, and providing age-appropriate activities for students in WOW and Vacation/Conference Camp programs.
- Design and implement lessons and activities aligned with program goals that support the success and the social/emotional development of all students
- Actively engaging and interacting with all students during WOW hours
- Assuring the safety of the students at all times
- Actively building and maintaining positive working relationships with parents who have children in WOW
- Communicating with administrators, teachers, and parents regarding students’ development at WOW
- Supporting Enrichment teachers and programs as needed
- Participating in and contributing to weekly and monthly staff meetings
- Recommending ideas for improvement to the Auxiliary Programs Associate and the Director of Auxiliary Programs
- Opportunity to participate in Wheeler’s Summer Camp program
Please note that the school is operating under new health and safety guidelines in the midst of Covid-19. You will be required to adhere to and comply with these guidelines.
Salary to be determined based on experience and education. Interested candidates should send cover letter, resume, and list of three references via email with the subject line “WOW Teacher” to email@example.com Heather Santoro, Auxiliary Programs Associate.