The Winsor School, Boston, MA
Accredited by NEASC
The Winsor School, one of the nation’s leading independent schools serves 470 academically promising and motivated girls in grades five through twelve. Located in the heart of Boston’s Longwood medical and academic area, the Winsor School will be embarking on its next major campaign and building a strong, strategic communications vision.
The director of marketing and communications works to strengthen awareness and understanding of Winsor’s distinctive programs, vision, and needs among constituencies and within the wider community. The director ensures an integrated approach to the school’s marketing communications and coordinates outreach to the media, serving as school spokesperson as needed. The role involves management of staff members and outside resources as well as extensive, hands-on creative work. While primarily a part of the Advancement Office, the director also supports the head of school, the director of admission, and other senior administrators.
REPORTS TO: Chief Advancement Officer
TIME ALLOCATION AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
INSTITUTIONAL MARKETING AND COMMUNICATION STRATEGY
- Develops vision and strategies for achieving the school’s communications goals.
- Assists with conceptualizing, writing, and editing of core messages such as the head of school and board speeches and letters.
ADVANCEMENT AND CAMPAIGN COMMUNICATIONS
- Develops and oversees implementation of comprehensive campaign communication plan, in consultation with CAO and campaign director.
- Creates communication plans and materials for select advancement goals, including planned giving, capital fundraising, and other marketing collateral.
- Oversees writing, design, and production of annual report of giving.
- Oversees the writing and timely release of donor stewardship letters and endowment reports in coordination with the Advancement Operations team.
- Guides planning for two issues a year of the Winsor Bulletin, the school magazine, and serves as an editor and contributing writer (from time to time).
- Coordinates writing, design, and printing of major admission publications as well as select invitations, brochures and handbooks for school offices.
- Works with other departments as needed to ensure clear, consistent graphic identity across publications, and evaluates publication requests. Coordinates professional photography of select school events.
- Oversees team responsible for strategy for website design and content development.
- Contributes to periodic e-communications as a writer and editor, including “Winsor E-News,” weekly and monthly parent updates, and official school announcements.
- Develops select web content and conceptual plans for site pages—including text and video features—in consultation with senior web developer and school offices.
MEDIA RELATIONS AND ADVERTISING
- Responds to media requests, consulting with administrators on public relations issues as they arise.
- Creates and maintains a crisis communications plan and helps to coordinate communications efforts in the event of an emergency
- Promotes select news about Winsor events, people, and programs to the media.
- Coordinates development of admission advertising to reach targeted audiences.
ADMINISTRATION, MANAGEMENT AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Directs 3-member communication team with direct reports.
- Coordinates the development and management of the budget for communications; and provides guidance to other departments on related costs.
- Administers personnel policies, practices and issues.
- Attends meetings of the Advancement Office as well as other committees as needed.
- Maintains understanding of new developments within the field and fosters ongoing relationships with professionals at peer institutions through association involvement.
- Assumes ad hoc assignments, as appropriate, at supervisor’s request.
- A deep commitment to independent school education, a keen understanding of Winsor’s mission and goals and the ability to articulate its uniqueness and relevance.
Minimum of ten years’ related experience
- Proven hands-on skills in marketing, writing, editing, design and web and print management
- Experience in working and building relationships with the media
- Knowledge of best practices within independent school communications
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple, competing projects and in meeting established goals
- Demonstrated staff management and team building skills
- Strong interpersonal skills that allow for effective relationships with constituencies
- Excellent oral and written communication
The Winsor School is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any application for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic testing, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis