Acera - The Massachusetts School of Science, Creativity and Leadership, Winchester, MA
Job Description: Acera seeks to hire a woodshop teacher / artisan who can work as part of our school community on Wednesday mornings from 8:30am - 12:30 pm. The role will include planning for and leading:
- Two 80-minute shop sessions in the mornings (between 9-12), for multi-week (or multi-month) projects, working with student cohort groups in age ranges of lower elementary, upper elementary, or middle school.
The right candidate will be patient and flexible to adapt approaches to fit with kids’ learning styles and interests, while also (of course) prioritizing safety and students’ stewardship habits and self management in the shop / Innovation Lab space, in our windowed and sunny large Innovation Lab. Additionally, the right educator for this position will have a commitment to student growth over a focus on “perfection” and be personally aligned with our core values and learning approaches, as outlined on our website: www.Aceraschool.org
Timeframe: Part time teacher role, during Acera’s Creativity Morning Program: 8:30am – 9am prep / set up 9am – 12pm two 80 minute sessions with 2 different student groups 12 – 12:30pm clean up
Expanded Part Time Role: Can Include Mon, Tues, Thurs, or Fri mornings, in addition to Wednesdays For the right candidate who is interested in a larger role, additional components of an expanded role could include: Middle School Hands-on Elective Teacher: Tuesdays and/or Thursdays 10am - 12pm Middle School Passion Projects Mentor: Mondays and/or Fridays 10am - 12pm Woodshop Zone and/or Innovation Lab Woodshop Machine Maintenance Projects, flexibly timed to fit with other aspects of the schedule
Overview: Acera is a K-8 hands-on learning STEAM school that provides students with unbounded access to learning. At Acera, students learn, discover and explore at a pace appropriate to each student’s unique motivation and potential, not their age. Our culture is not about pressure to achieve; it is about freedom to thrive. We support our students’ innate curiosity and love of learning with an interdisciplinary, hands-on learning approach. Through developing emotional intelligence, complex and creative thinking skills, and systems awareness, we develop thinkers and innovators who will be able to make positive change in our world. Acera teachers function as entrepreneurs in their classrooms, and are deeply talented and share ideas to support each other as professionals.
Acera Vision: We envision a world in which schools engage students in meaningful learning, in which teachers are freed as entrepreneurs in their classrooms, and in which students can become the best version of themselves, given each students’ unique capacities, needs, and passions. The Acera school day program provides students with unbounded access to learning, offering high capacity students opportunity according to their ability not age. Acera’s enrichment programs (after school, summer, and vacation week camps) are open to the public, and our Education Innovation efforts are actively engaging in public school projects to support educational change. We also partner with organizations beyond our walls, creating programs rich in sciences, technology, engineering, creativity and the arts. We operate both as a lab school and a microcosm of what is possible for other schools. We seek to grow students’ emotional intelligence and enable them to become the best version of themselves. Our mission, across our core school day program, enrichment programs and within our partnerships, is to develop the next generation of innovators, leaders and creative thinkers who can make a positive impact in the world.
- Prior teaching experience highly desired, but for the right person, teacher mentoring may be made available in lieu of substantial prior teaching experience.
- Great skills in woodshop and tools usage, including basic hand tools, edge tools and machine tools such as table saw, chop saw and band saw.
- Experience in furniture-making a plus. Furniture projects for middle schoolers are typically based in traditional woodworking techniques with both hand and machine tools, and all projects allow some space for creative components.
- Highly organized and able to steward woodshop area with great care, to leave a ready-to-go, predictable space for others
- Experience setting norms for safety
- Deep care for student growth, happiness and authentic engagement
- Flexible and adaptable for changes and surprises; able to cope with vibrant, busy environment of an open, cross disciplinary Innovation Lab space
- Collaborative working style with colleagues and students alike
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Pay Rate: Competitive
Calendar: Weeks of August 26, 2019 – June 14, 2020
Application: Please submit resume and cover letter Courtney Dickinson, Founder & Director and Alexis Daniels, Enrichment Program Manager firstname.lastname@example.org www.aceraschool.org
Equal Opportunity Employer Acera is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or disability as defined and required by state and federal laws.