Develop and Leverage Your Leadership Style
Tuesday, April 28, 2020
Location: Virtual, using Zoom
9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Presented and Facilitated by Gillien Todd, Organizational Consultant, Coach, Trainer and Teacher
- Welcome and Introductions: Becky Biggs, AISNE: 9:00 - 9:30 a.m.
- Break: 9:30 - 9:45 a.m.
- Morning Program, Part I: 9:45 - 10:30 a.m.
- Break: 10:30 - 10:45 a.m.
- Morning Program, Part II: 10:45 - 11:30 a.m.
- Break to Get Lunch: 11:30 - 11:45 a.m.
- Lunchtime Conversation: 11:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
- Afternoon Program, Part I: 12:15 - 2:00 p.m. (Break: 1:00 - 1:15 p.m.)
- Break: 2:00 - 2:15 p.m.
- Afternoon Program, Part II: 2:15 - 2:45 p.m.
- Reflections and Farewell: 2:45 - 3:00 p.m.
- Full Day: $99 for members, $149 for non-members
- Group Savings Rates apply when you register 3+ team members
About This Workshop
Join us for a highly interactive day.
Whether you're in a leadership role, preparing to transition into one, or aspiring leadership responsibilities, this workshop will help you more deeply understand and appreciate your personal patterns of behavior and how they intersect with your individual effectiveness as a leader.
At this workshop, you will:
- Gain descriptive language for your own and others’ behavioral patterns
- Learn to appreciate how behavioral profile knowledge can help you more easily identify situations in which a particular profile will serve yourself and others, and where it will fall short
- Understand how to operate more consciously to expand your behavioral repertoire, making significant improvements in your own interpersonal efficacy
- See new possibilities for where and how to make behavioral changes to increase desired communicative outcomes
- Engage in conversations with others in new ways
This workshop will leverage the thinking of the Kantor Baseline Instrument. The instrument measures everyday communication tendencies along three dimensions:
- Action Modes
- Operating Systems
- Communication Domains
With Kantor Structural Dynamics Licensed Practitioners, individuals, teams and organizations can utilize detailed reports to discover their Baseline Profile and develop conversational depth range and fluency. This workshop will focus in on understanding and appreciating the methodology of this work. Individuals and school teams may decide to pursue working with Kantor for customized, detailed reports, following this workshop.
Morning Program Details
Begin the day reflecting on your thoughts about your personal capacity as a leader. In your school, which team or interpersonal dynamics do you find particularly challenging?
- Explore Kantor's Structural Dynamics and understand the key distinction between discussing interpersonal and team dynamics in structural terms as opposed to judgmental terms.
- Understand propensities for Action Modes: inclinations to Move, Follow, Oppose or be a Bystander
- Dig into Operating Systems: sets of basic rules each of us implicitly follow when interacting with others, lending us to be Closed, Open or Random
- Uncover common communication patterns which increase the likeliness for folks to get stuck
Afternoon Program Details
- Consider Communication Domain preferences, representing what you pay attention to when you are interacting with others: Affect, Meaning or Power
- Think about the interpersonal and team challenges you encounter at your school. Share, explore and discuss opportunities for applying Structural Dynamics and the dimensions of Action Modes, Operating Systems and Communication Domains to better understand how you show up, as a leader, and how to approach challenges or sticking points using a structural lens, rather than a judgmental one.
About Our Facilitator
Gillien Todd is an organizational consultant, coach, trainer and teacher, with a background in interest-based negotiation and managing difficult conversations.
Gillien has worked in a variety of organizations ranging from small charities to large institutions such as the Massachusetts General Hospital. Gillien is on the faculty of Harvard Law School, where she has taught negotiation and interpersonal communication skills to law students and executives for more than fifteen years. She has more recently developed expertise in consulting to groups and teams using the Kantor Structural Dynamics framework. She has designed team-level interventions using Kantor Structural Dynamics for executive teams, business partnerships and long-term cross-organizational collaborations. She holds a Masters degree in Education in addition to a JD degree.
Gillien believes in the importance of having direct and honest conversations, and she strives to create a calm and a non-judgmental learning atmosphere. She is recognized for her creative problem solving, skillful listening and directness.